Sunday, March 26, 2006

Sunday Confidential

I'm graduating in May with my MFA in writing, which means it's the heart of thesis season for me. I'm doing a collection of short stories, which is great and wonderful and all that, but it's hard for me to accept that I'm going to have to put these stories to bed. Even then they won't be finished, really, because at least a handful of them will hopefully be worth committing more time to, but I am struggling with the idea that when I turn them in to my advisor, they will be the mark of what I've accomplished during my time at grad school. Every story can use another draft, and at some point you have to decide that the next draft won't be a measurably better product. But that can be many many revisions away, and I know that at some point before that this thing is going to be due and I'm going to have to accept that it is what it is. On the plus side, I've been amazed at how exciting revision can be. I know, I know, I'm a big dork. But it's really thrilling to read a story I've written and see that it's not right yet, but I know what's wrong with it and have some ideas how to fix it. Good times, good times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home