Wednesday, March 08, 2006

I Think I'll Have the Salad

Another entry in the annal of weird animals I've recently heard about. And you wonder why I have nightmares. It's because of the hairy lobsters, people! I'm not even going to put a picture of this thing up, because I can't bear to look at it every time I load this page, and I think I would lose all my readers. But suffice it to say, there's a new blind, hairy lobster in town. It was discovered recently 900 miles south of Easter Island, which is way down there, and it was living 2300 meters deep on some hydrothermal vents.

If you want to see it you should click on the link above. If you don't want to see it, I don't blame you, and here is the best description I can give, only having looked at it through my fingers: it's got a small, very white, very hard-looking body in the shape of a teardrop, and according to the reports it only has the vestige of a membrane where the eye would be. Because what's he going to look at way down there anyway? It's like all dark and stuff. But the really exciting part is that its pincers--which, incidentally, seem more mitteny than pinchy--instead of being covered in an exoskeleton like the lobsters we know and love to eat, its pincers are covered in pale hair-like filaments called setae, giving its long, long arms the appearance of big ol' pipe cleaners. or some kind of goofy sweater that never quite took off.

2 Comments:

Blogger Preston said...

You know, Provincetown has its own big hairy lobster. He's not blind, though, and he definitely doesn't have a hard body (I've seen him without the costume). He's also less stylish than our new crustacean friend, and he's not blonde.

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That thing is crazy lookin'! I like the "yeti" name they gave it, it really does look like what I'm assuming the Abominable Snowman would look like, were he a lobster.

Maybe there are other fashionably attired deep sea creatures that we know nothing about? Fish wearing feather boas, crabs with top hats, that sort of thing.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home