Thursday, November 17, 2005

I Mean An Octopus

Well. The moment you've all been waiting for. Is here. The winners of the National Book Award have been announced, a mere 24 hours or so ago. Nothing like a blog for up-to-the-minute reporting. If you remember, I have a standing bet with my brother, my friend Carlos, and the rest of the blogosphere that involves some high stakes gambling on the outcomes. Let's take a look at the results, shall we?

Fiction
Winner: William T. Vollmann
Predicted Winner: Mary Gaitskill

So far I'm 0 for 1, and owing the world a dollar. The winning book, Europe Central, is currently #160 on Amazon. Jesus. When even a National Book Award can't help you break the top 100, it's a sign that something is seriously wrong with the condition of American literature. Either that, or people heard about his last book, Rising Up and Rising Down, weighing in at a massive SEVEN VOLUMES, and they have a fear of commitment. What's wrong with these people?

Nonfiction
Winner: Joan Didion
Predicted Winner: Joan Didion


Boo-yah! Pay me a dollar, world.

Poetry
Winner: W.S. Merwin
Predicted Winner: Vern Rustala

Damn. I've never heard of Vern Rustala. To be completely honest, I'm not entirely sure I've heard of W.S. Merwin. I mostly picked Vern because man, that's a cool name. I'm sorry you didn't win, Vern. But you can be consoled with the knowledge that you have the best name on the whole nominees list, hands down. Also by the fact you were nominated for a National Book Award.

Young People's Literature
Winner: Jeanne Birdsall
Predicted Winner: Jeanne Birdsall


Heck yeah! Suck it, Deborah Wiles!

So the final outcome is that I got two right... and two wrong. So you owe me... nothing. And I owe you... nothing. But you can still give me money if you want. You know where to find me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home