Sunday, April 23, 2006

Sunday Confidential

Confidentially, I've gotten hooked on a web comic called NYC 2123: Dayender. Generally speaking, I don't know much about comics or graphic novels, but I had the good fortune of meeting Chad Allen, one of the creators, and I'm sold. Set in post-apocalyptic New York City in the year 2123, the main characters are badass outlaws with hardwired wi-fi, altered senses and other cool body mods, and they're up against a shadowy enemy with devious intentions (but I won't give away who it is - you'll have to see for yourself). The drawings are clean, the writing's sharp, and the whole thing is just fun. Plus, I love the online format, as opposed to the traditional paper comic. One of the things a comic's drawings are supposed to show is the passage of time, and when you're clicking through frames as you do online, there's an actual literal correspondence to that sense expressed in the work. NYC 2123 can also be read on PSP, which is cool, but I have a funny feeling that most of my readers don't have PSPs or maybe even know what they are. Yay NYC 2123!

5 Comments:

Blogger Preston said...

Online comics are all the rage right now. I'm hooked on a few - most recently, Slow Wave, in which the artist illustrates dreams that people send to him.

And yeah, PSP. I had to look it up.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Preston said...

Okay, I just read the available issues of NYC 2123. I'm hooked.

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, what is PSP?

7:13 AM  
Blogger gurgly said...

PSP is "Playstation Portable," a portable version of the Sony Playstation game console. All the rage among the kids.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Chad Allen said...

Hey, that was some really nice stuff to say about our comic. Thanks. I hope your notebook comes back in time to read issue 6! Next time buy an x86 PC and use Linux, dood!

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home