Sunday, April 09, 2006

Sunday Confidential

A few weeks ago, when I was planning my spring break, I got it into my head to clean my laptop. It's a wonderful little white iBook, and we're madly in love, but after a year and a half it's starting to look a little grimy, and a few of the keys stick more than I'd like, so I was going to take off all the keys, wash 'em up, really get the dirt out, and spruce it up all nice and fresh. Naturally I never got around to doing this, I mean, who has time for that shit? But last week I decided I couldn't bear it any longer - the stickiness of the "i" key had to be resolved. So I took off the key and spiffed up the inside. When I went to put the letter "i" back on, though, I saw that the key is not one piece, but three: the key itself and two little plastic joints, which fit together and on the base and onto the key in a totally mysterious way. After an hour and a half (I kid you not!) of wrangling with the stupid things, I finally figured out how the whole thing worked, but in my desperate battle I had broken off a tiny, minute, miniscule smidgen of plastic from one of the joint pieces, and therefore, the key doesn't attach completely anymore and it pops up all the time. I considered switching the broken piece for one from a less popular key like "x," but I'm afraid that once I go down that road, there won't be a single properly attached key left on my keyboard.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, this has the potential for some groundbreaking material with your writing. what if you rearranged all the letters on your keypad so that you wrote a story and it came out looking like some kind of crazy code? And you were the only one who could break it? and somehow the Russians thought that the story was actually some sort of important document, and they came after you, and you had to go on the lamb with nothing but your laptop and your wit to save you?

Ok, time for my pills!

11:26 AM  
Blogger gurgly said...

Yeah! I was thinking I would just stop writing about myself, as that would great reduce my use of the "i" key. But then I'd have to stop blogging. Sue Townshend has this hilarious series of books about a kid named Adrian Mole, and one of his projects is to write a novel without using the letter "e" or something.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty sure it's been done, but that shouldn't stop young Adrian.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home