Sunday, October 16, 2005

Sunday Confidential

Let me tell you, you haven't experienced New Jersey until you've driven along Route 38, past the Applebee's, the Big & Tall Casual Male and Flower World on the way to Benihana while listening to the Black Eyed Peas singing My Humps, which goes something like this: "My hump, my hump, my hump my hump my hump. My hump my hump my hump, my lovely lady lumps, in the back and in the front." Music just keeps getting better and better.

Anyway, I went on a whirlwind tour of the Philadelphia metro area this weekend, starting with a visit to two old friends from college, whom for the sake of convenience I will call Enrique and Gianni. We went to the Miami vs. Temple football game and it was such a wonderfully warm, beautiful, finally sunny day, and of course the 'Canes whooped the Owls and a good time was had by almost all, including the birds who seemed only slightly put off by all the kerfluffle on the field, which they steadily ate throughout the game (the field, not the kerfluffle).

Next up was lunch in the Old City today with my bro and his gf, who are full of youthfulness and vigor and other nice stuff. And more grown up than I am, I think. We munched and chatted and observed the historicalness of Philadelphia, which has some colonial type folk running around in top hats and offering carriage rides.

Last but not least was poetry in Chestnut Hill at a lovely coffee shop with a very sunny sensibility and a reading organized by my dear friend, here called Sparrow, and featuring two poets with whom I am also friends. There was good poetry, cameraderie, and delicious coffee, followed by bar food, wine, and a smooth drive home. The best poem went something like this: "My hump, my hump / my hump my hump my hump. / My hump my hump my hump / my lovely lady lumps / in the back and in the front."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cant believe Miami didnt cover the spread.

9:16 PM  
Blogger gurgly said...

I know! Weak!

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

um, la? see, the lovely folks of mt airy might be a little miffed that you co-opted their favorite little coffee shop and attributed it to its elitist grandmama, chestnut hill. i still love you though, and your brightly colored sneakers.

3:18 PM  
Blogger gurgly said...

Oh, Crikeys! Sorry, Mt. Airy folks. Obviously I don't know my Philly geography too well.

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home