Sunday, February 05, 2006

Sunday Confidential

In my continuing quest to visit the museums of every borough, I went to the Brooklyn Museum on Saturday; however, due to time constraints, I didn't actually see any art.

On the first Saturday of every month, the museum hosts a free dance party with a different kind of music, and I have to say, I think this is one of the most "New York" things I have done in the city. This month it was '80s music, and the mix of people was really amazing - despite the diversity of the city, it usually happens that we spend most of our time with people who look and act a lot like us. But at the museum, there were kids, teenagers, people in their forties and fifties, white, black, and brown people, straight, gay; I know, I'm starting to sound like an ad. But besides the dj playing PYT and some kickass Prince, here are some of the highlights:

:: The woman and her friend who came with their five kids and entertained them by singing every word of every song.
:: The beautiful black woman dancing with the chumpiest, whitest, worst-dancing white guy I've ever seen.
:: A large selection of middle aged guys impressing their ladies with their slick moves - slides, shimmies, and spins.
:: A woman in African tribal dress.
:: A fifty-person conga line.
:: Kids wrestling on the raised octagon in the center of the big rotunda while the rest of us danced around them.

It was a great time, and despite the fact that I didn't see any art on this particular trip, I have had the pleasure of visiting the Brooklyn Museum before, and they have a wonderful collection. The Egyptian art is great, they have a new visible storage center, and the building itself is beautiful - as we came out of the subway, the sky was misty and the lights shone on the facade, a combination of the original neoclassical marble and the new renovations, which expose the brick foundations and and an added glass lobby. A lovely place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home