Sunday, December 11, 2005

Sunday Confidential

Today is a very special day - my 100th post! I don't know what this means, except that I've been blogging for nigh on twenty weeks without once using the word "nigh." Damn it. Back at square one. Anyway, thanks for reading, readers, and I hope to keep you entertained and fill you with relatively useless information for eons to come.

Now, I'm saving up for a special post, probably next Sunday, on how much I secretly love the holidays, ESPECIALLY Christmas music but also decorations and holiday foods and choosing gifts, but as a little preview I will tell you about how the b.f. and his roommate and his g.f. and I all gathered together to have some holiday cheer (read: alcohol) at the boys' house. It was quite similar to what we do many Sundays except no one was wearing pajamas and we drank wine and ate yummy snacks instead of cereal. But since it was an official holiday soignee, I was determined to roast chestnuts. As in, "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire..." etc. In lieu of an open fire, which I believe Brooklyn must have some prohibitions against, I cooked them in the stove, per the directions I found online for so doing. What holiday revelers did without the internet in days of yore, I'll never know. So it's quite simple: you preheat the oven, cut an X on the flat side of the chestnut, which you bought from your local produce seller, and you cook them for a bunch of minutes. Then you peel them and eat them.

But, uh, chestnuts are kind of BAD. I guess I'd never had them before, but I'll be honest: I don't see myself having them again. At least not when I'm cooking. They have, as Roommate said, the texture of coconut, but as he didn't say because he was being polite, they didn't taste much like a coconut. It was more like, I don't know, a sliver of pencil eraser. Maybe they were undercooked - or maybe they just taste like that. Who knows. But I can tell you one thing - they won't be on my Christmas menu.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home